Samantha Stosur's Toronto Blog

One of the hottest players on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour blogs for us from the Rogers Cup.

Published August 23, 2009 12:00

TORONTO, Canada - It has been a spectacular last few months for Sam Stosur, reaching some big rounds at some big tournaments - including her first Grand Slam semifinal at the French Open and the final of Los Angeles two weeks ago. This week she aims for the Rogers Cup singles and doubles titles and brings us all along the way in her second Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Blog.


Monday, August 24, 2009

Hi everyone,

Well unfortunately for Stubbsy and I, we lost in the doubles final yesterday. It was a hard-fought match and we actually had a match point at 9-8 in the super tie-break. Hopefully we can go one better before the year is done.

After the match I had a quick shower and it was off to the airport, and just like that I'm now in New Haven. We were on one of those little prop planes, it could be the smallest plane I have ever travelled on!

I really enjoyed my time in Toronto. It was the first time I had played the tournament and been to that city, and I really liked it. I will definitely be back there playing again next year.

So now I just want to say thank you to everyone for reading and the support throughout the year. Wish me luck for the Open and see ya later :)



Saturday, August 22, 2009

Hi everyone,

Sorry about the delay in getting yesterday's blog to you. I was pretty tired after yesterday's matches and fell asleep with the TV and light on last night!

I was disappointed to not get through my singles match after I won the first set. Elena is such a good competitor and never gives up. She always makes you work for each point. She played very well today, too, in the parts of the match I saw against Serena. I think she will be hard to beat in tomorrow's final.

The second semi is currently delayed because of rain and Stubbsy and I play after it. Hopefully that's it for the rain now, and it isn't too long of a night for everyone. When night matches get delayed it doesn't just affect the players with being at the courts really late. Once the match or matches are finished there are still a lot of people waiting, besides the staff of the event the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Supervisor and physios are still there too, to make sure the players get everything they need before they go home for the night. They have to be at courts at least an hour before and an hour after play finishes... and a lot of the time it is longer if the player needs treatment or a massage once they've cooled down and done everything to recover. A big thank you must go out to all the trainers who travel with the Tour and keep putting us back together to be on the court. I know I couldn't play without them, that's for sure!

I'm sure you all know the guys are playing in Cincinnati this week. Fed is in another final tomorrow and will face either Djokovic or Nadal. I love watching the matches between Federer and Nadal, they are definitely two of my favorite players and would have to be two of the most gracious champions. They are fantastic role models for young players too.

Well now that the women's semi is about to go on, it's time for me to head into the physio and get myself ready to play against Liezel and Cara. Stubbsy and I will have to be on our games to beat the No.1 seeds. We are two of only a few teams who still play conventional dubs. We all serve and volley and look to come into the net ASAP. Our matches are usually pretty entertaining with some fun, fast volleys and reflexes at the net. Hopefully tonight is no different!

I'll catch you tomorrow, hopefully after playing the dubs final :)



Thursday, August 20, 2009

Hi everyone,

Well this is the second time I have written this blog tonight. I got it all finished and managed to delete it before sending it. Hate it when that happens!

Today was a great day for me at the tennis. I won both my singles and doubles matches in straight sets and played well, so I'm happy with that. I was able to get back to the hotel before the rain came too, which is even better. There was tons of thunder and lightning, they even had tornado warnings on the TV, but I think the weather people got a bit excited as the rain cleared pretty soon after. This week I'm on the 20th floor so I felt even closer to all the action going on up in the sky... can't say I really enjoyed it though.

I have been told I will go to No.15 in the rankings by making it to the quarters this week. I'm very excited about that. Alicia was the last Aussie to make it there and higher so I'm happy to be there now too. Speaking of her, she is making her comeback next week in New Haven in doubles. It will be great to see Mol back on the court and have another friendly face around the Tour. I hope she does well in her return to tennis.

I made it the baseball last night too, it was a shame the Blue Jays went down 5 to 1, but it was still cool to make it to a game this week. I thought the stadium was great and it had a pretty good atmosphere too.

My older brother Daniel called today after arriving in Vegas with my younger brother Dominic. They are coming to the US Open next week and my parents will be joining them in a couple of days. This will be the first time in many, many years we have been away as a family, not since the weekend and holiday junior tournaments that everyone attended on my behalf. I don't think Dom enjoyed being dragged to tennis every weekend but now that tennis has taken him to New York I don't think he minds ;) This is the second time for Daniel, he was here in 2005 when Lisa and I won the doubles, and Mum, Dad and Dom where here last year supporting me. It is always nice to have family around, especially when I'm overseas.

After the Open we are all going to Tampa to relax, unwind from the Open and visit our extended family. Dad hadn't seen his father for about 12 years up until a few years ago, and it would be close to 16 years that Daniel hasn't seen them either, so will be great to do it as a whole family.

That's all from me tonight, chat to you tomorrow!



Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Hello again everybody :)

Today was an easy morning as I didn't get to sleep till about 1:30am. I left for the courts at 11am and then left the courts to go back to the hotel at 5pm. Even though it's a day off from matches, it was still a six hour process to practice, get treatment and whatever else, but tonight I'm hoping to catch the baseball game - the Blue Jays are playing the Red Sox. I've been to one game, years ago in Tampa, so I'm hoping there will be plenty of runs scored so it's interesting!

I think we'll go back to the same Japanese restaurant again tonight too. That'll be three out of five nights. It's so good! I love the black cod, that's my dish of choice this week. I need to remember to sign the credit card receipt tonight though, the last time I only filled in the amount and didn't sign it. We were walking down the street back to the hotel a good 100 meters away and the Japanese waitress was running, waving her arms to catch us. A taxi man stopped us and pointed behind... It was very funny but I felt really bad!

Upsets like Venus yesterday and Dinara today are bound to happen in such a high class event. To have so many quality players here makes the draw extra exciting, as everyone is pretty much in the Top 40 or 50 in the world. Anyone on their given day can beat anyone, which shows the quality of women players.

My next opponent, Virginie Razzano, is a very good player. We have played a couple of times, most recently at the French Open this year. I played very well that match so hopefully I can bring the same kind of form into tomorrow's match.

Rennae and I have our first doubles match of the week tomorrow. We make a good team for a few reasons. Firstly, I think it helps that we are good friends off the court. Everytime I go out to play dubs I want it to be enjoyable, so playing with friends usually helps, although maybe it doesn't in some situations! Stubbsy has had a great career and knows the game inside out. We usually have a few laughs at some point in the match too, even when she hits me in the back with one of her returns, like at Wimbledon! I should know by now her forehand isn't her strong point. Haha... just kidding.

I've heard some people wonder about me wearing shades when I play. I'm one of the few out there who does it. I think it helps. I started to wear them when I was 14, so I'm very used to them. Back then I just wore them 'cause I thought it was cool, but now I think it does help. Everyone hates having to serve into the sun or deal with the glare on the hardcourts, so wearing my Oakleys just helps that little bit. My lenses aren't too dark though, so it pretty much looks the same through them, minus the glare, and maybe when I'm older I won't have so many wrinkles from squinting my whole life ;)

I have been pretty slack with keeping up with the world news lately. I actually haven't read much online, the only time I seem to be using my computer at the moment is to watch Brothers And Sisters. I watched the last episode a couple of nights ago and wasn't too happy with the ending, but I'm hoping there will be a Season 4, as I think it's a great show! One thing I do know, or at least I think I know, is last week my football team from back home was coming third in the ladder and have a home semifinal, good news for the Gold Coast Titans :)

Talk to you all again tomorrow!!



Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Hey everyone,

I haven't blogged for the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour since 2006 so hopefully this will make up for the lost time :)

I feel like I'm playing really well lately. The spring was incredible and the first two weeks of the hardcourt season were a great way to start my lead-up to the US Open. I just came from winning my second round match against Svetlana, and I won my first match yesterday, so it's still going pretty well! Matches like tonight, where I was just enjoying myself with no pressure, are great. I've done all the hard work leading up to this. Now I want to play as much as I can.

I got into Toronto on Saturday morning. I haven't done anything other than practicing and playing, yet... I'm going to try to go to a Blue Jays game tomorrow night, and maybe a musical or something this week too. I have a few things planned, it's just a matter of whether we get around to doing them!

I really like Canada. This is my first time in Toronto - it's kind of like a quiet New York City, with all the high rise buildings. And this tournament is great. There are so many people out here to watch, the restaurant for the players is great... I'm kinda sad I haven't been here before!

It'll be good fun getting some doubles in this week too. Rennae and I played a bit in Los Angeles but before that it was Wimbledon when we last played, so I look forward to getting out there again. Hopefully we can win a few matches.

Thanks to everyone who follows me and watches me play - anyone who looks at my website and comments, thank you for the support! I'm trying to win out there for everyone. I'll talk to you all again tomorrow :)



Visit Sam Stosur's official website at www.samstosur.com.

Share this page!

Related news

  • On This Day: Welcome Back, Monica

    August 15, 2014
    August 15, 1995 - TLC were singing about Waterfalls, Michelle Pfeiffer was trying to get through to her class and one of the all-time greats was making an electric comeback.
  • Serena Outdoes Stosur, Safarova Next

    August 06, 2014
    Playing in Montréal for the first time in 14 years, Serena Williams made a flying start to her Rogers Cup campaign, outdoing one of her toughest rivals in 58 minutes.
  • 10 Things To Know: Montréal

    August 04, 2014
    The Williams sisters are chasing Canadian breakthroughs, Maria Sharapova and Eugenie Bouchard are back and the Road To Singapore heats up. Get ready for a big week!
To The Top