WTA Odds N' Ends... Mona Makes News
Published Feburary 04, 2013 08:41
- Barthel become one of just four unseeded champions in the Open GDF SUEZ's 21-year history:
Halard-Decugis in '96
S.Williams in '99
Safina in '05
Barthel in '13
- Barthel became the third German, and the second straight, to be victorious at the Open GDF SUEZ:
Graf in '95
Kerber in '12
Barthel in '13
- Barthel secured her second and third Top 10 wins in Paris:
d. No.7 Bartoli in '12 Stuttgart QF
d. No.10 Bartoli in '13 Paris [Indoors] QF
d. No.7 Errani in '13 Paris [Indoors] F
Kirilenko Conquers Pattaya City
A little over a week after turning 26, Maria Kirilenko edged Sabine Lisicki in a third set tie-break in the Pattaya City final for her sixth WTA title and first since 2008.
- Four of those titles have come in Asia:
Beijing in '05
Kolkata in 07
Seoul in '08
Pattaya City in '13
- This is the second time Kirilenko has been runner-up at an event and then won it the following year:
Seoul: runner-up in '07, winner in '08
Pattaya City: runner-up in '12, winner in '13
- In the tournament's first 18 years, the PTT Pattaya Open had no Russian champs, but in the past five years has had three:
Zvonareva in '09
Zvonareva in '10
Kirilenko in '13
- Pattaya City winner Maria Kirilenko went up two spots to No.13, one spot short of her career-high.
- Paris [Indoors] champ Mona Barthel soared 17 spots to No.28 in making her Top 30 debut.
- Paris [Indoors] semifinalist Kiki Bertens climbed 15 spots to No.50, her Top 50 debut.
- Paris [Indoors] semifinalist Kristina Mladenovic had the biggest jump within the Top 100 in going from No.87 to a career-high No.69.
- Yulia Putintseva went up two spots to No.99 in making her Top 100 debut. The 18-year-old Kazakh is the third-youngest player in the Top 100.
- Victoria Azarenka is spending her 50th week as World No.1, making her one of just 10 women to hit the 50-week mark:
Graf: 377 weeks
Navratilova: 332 weeks
Evert: 260 weeks
Hingis: 209 weeks
Seles: 178 weeks
S.Williams: 123 weeks
Henin: 117 weeks
Davenport: 98 weeks
Wozniacki: 67 weeks
Azarenka: 50 weeks