Wimbledon Draw: Serena Vs Maria In QFs?
Published June 20, 2014 12:15
LONDON, England - The draw for Wimbledon took place at the All-England Club on Friday, with some very intriguing first round match-ups, as well as some mouthwatering potential match-ups later on...
Here's the breakdown of each quarter - where all the Top 32 seeds fell in the draw...
SERENA'S QUARTER (first quarter)
The seeds in Serena Williams' quarter are lined up like this:
(1) Serena Williams (USA) vs (25) Alizé Cornet (FRA) in 3r
(13) Eugenie Bouchard (CAN) vs (20) Andrea Petkovic (GER) in 3r
(9) Angelique Kerber (GER) vs (24) Kirsten Flipkens (BEL) in 3r
(5) Maria Sharapova (RUS) vs (26) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) in 3r
SIMONA'S QUARTER (second quarter)
The seeds in Simona Halep's quarter are lined up like this:
(3) Simona Halep (ROU) vs (29) Sorana Cirstea (ROU) in 3r
(15) Carla Suárez Navarro (ESP) vs (21) Roberta Vinci (ITA) in 3r
(11) Ana Ivanovic (SRB) vs (19) Sabine Lisicki (GER) in 3r
(7) Jelena Jankovic (SRB) vs (31) Klara Koukalova (CZE) in 3r
AGA'S QUARTER (third quarter)
The seeds in Agnieszka Radwanska's quarter are lined up like this:
(8) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) vs (27) Garbiñe Muguruza (ESP) in 3r
(10) Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) vs (23) Lucie Safarova (CZE) in 3r
(14) Sara Errani (ITA) vs (22) Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) in 3r
(4) Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) vs (28) Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) in 3r
LI'S QUARTER (fourth quarter)
The seeds in Li Na's quarter are lined up like this:
(6) Petra Kvitova (CZE) vs (30) Venus Williams (USA) in 3r
(12) Flavia Pennetta (ITA) vs (18) Sloane Stephens (USA) in 3r
(16) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) vs (17) Samantha Stosur (AUS) in 3r
(2) Li Na (CHN) vs (32) Elena Vesnina (RUS) in 3r
And here are six first round matches to watch:
~ (7) Jelena Jankovic (SRB) vs Kaia Kanepi (EST)
There's no first round match more dangerous than this. Kanepi is a two-time quarterfinalist here, and Jankovic has never been that far here - they are also a dead even 3-3 in their head-to-head.
~ (8) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) vs Mirjana Lucic-Baroni (CRO)
Azarenka is fresh off a foot injury and Lucic-Baroni is dangerous - not only did she make the semis here in 1999, she's the last player to beat Marion Bartoli here. Azarenka won their only meeting.
~ (13) Eugenie Bouchard (CAN) vs Daniela Hantuchova (SVK)
WTA Rising Star Bouchard's quest for a third Grand Slam semifinal this year begins against Hantuchova, a former Grand Slam semifinalist herself. The two have never played before.
~ (14) Sara Errani (ITA) vs Caroline Garcia (FRA)
Errani has had some tough losses here the last few years, and WTA Rising Star Garcia - who has shot up the rankings this spring - beat the Italian during that run, their only previous meeting.
~ (18) Sloane Stephens (USA) vs Maria Kirilenko (RUS)
Kirilenko's Top 10 breakthrough last year was derailed by a knee injury this year, but - like Stephens - she is a former Wimbledon quarterfinalist. Stephens won the pair's only previous meeting.
~ (21) Roberta Vinci (ITA) vs Donna Vekic (CRO)
Vinci, who possesses one of the best games out there for grass - picture perfect slice, exceptional volleys - takes on WTA Rising Star Vekic in the first round. This is also a first time meeting.