US Open Draw: Maria Vs Simona In QFs?
Published August 21, 2014 12:15
Here's the breakdown of each quarter - where all the Top 32 seeds fell in the draw...
SERENA'S QUARTER (first quarter)
The seeds in Serena Williams' quarter are lined up like this:
(1) Serena Williams (USA) vs (32) Zhang Shuai (CHN) in 3r
(15) Carla Suárez Navarro (ESP) vs (24) Samantha Stosur (AUS) in 3r
(11) Flavia Pennetta (ITA) vs (23) Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (RUS) in 3r
(8) Ana Ivanovic (SRB) vs (29) Casey Dellacqua (AUS) in 3r
PETRA'S QUARTER (second quarter)
The seeds in Petra Kvitova's quarter are lined up like this:
(3) Petra Kvitova (CZE) vs (27) Madison Keys (USA) in 3r
(16) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) vs (20) Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) in 3r
(12) Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) vs (17) Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) in 3r
(7) Eugenie Bouchard (CAN) vs (30) Barbora Zahlavova Strycova (CZE) in 3r
AGA's QUARTER (third quarter)
The seeds in Agnieszka Radwanska's quarter are lined up like this:
(6) Angelique Kerber (GER) vs (31) Kurumi Nara (JPN) in 3r
(9) Jelena Jankovic (SRB) vs (21) Sloane Stephens (USA) in 3r
(14) Lucie Safarova (CZE) vs (22) Alizé Cornet (FRA) in 3r
(4) Agnieszka Radwanska (POL) vs (28) Roberta Vinci (ITA) in 3r
SIMONA'S QUARTER (fourth quarter)
The seeds in Simona Halep's quarter are lined up like this:
(5) Maria Sharapova (RUS) vs (26) Sabine Lisicki (GER)
(10) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) vs (18) Andrea Petkovic (GER)
(13) Sara Errani (ITA) vs (19) Venus Williams (USA)
(2) Simona Halep (ROU) vs (26) Garbiñe Muguruza (ESP)
And a few first round matches to keep an eye on...
(3) Petra Kvitova (CZE) vs Kristina Mladenovic (FRA)
~ Kvitova was the last player standing at the last Grand Slam, but the US Open hasn't exactly been kind to her in the past - it's the only major she's never been to the quarterfinals of. Plus, first round opponent Mladenovic pulled off a first round stunner over Li Na at Roland Garros this year...
(5) Maria Sharapova (RUS) vs Maria Kirilenko (RUS)
~ Sharapova is the No.1 player on the Road To Singapore leaderboard, meaning she's done more than anyone else this year - but Kirilenko, a fellow Russian and one of her true contemporaries on the tour, has beaten her at a Grand Slam before, and is hungry on the comeback from a knee injury.
(16) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) vs Misaki Doi (JPN)
~ Only one woman has done better than Azarenka at the US Open over the last two years - the woman who beat her in both finals, Serena Williams - but the Belarusian is coming off a very fragmented year due to a variety of injuries. How will the two-time defending US Open runner-up hold up?
(19) Venus Williams (USA) vs Kimiko Date-Krumm (JPN)
~ Two of the most seasoned WTA veterans will clash in the first round this fortnight, and while Date-Krumm has never beaten Williams, she has pushed her to tough three-setters more than once. But Williams looked fantastic in Canada a few weeks ago, and she has won in Flushing Meadows before...