Schiavone Outlines 2017 Retirement Plan
Published January 09, 2017 12:13
HOBART, Australia - There have been plenty of hints over the past year, but on Monday Francesca Schiavone finally revealed her retirement date.
Following her 6-3, 6-2 defeat to Jana Fett at the Hobart International, Schiavone announced that this year would be her last as a professional tennis player.
"I made too many mistakes, it was not easy for me to find a good rhythm," Schiavone said following the match.
The 2010 Roland Garros champion has been one of the most charismatic players on tour for the best past of two decades, but waning motivation and a battle-weary body have convinced her to finally call it a day at the end of the current season.
"This is my last year of tennis, that's why I'm upset I didn't give the best here," Schiavone said.
"This year I want to give everything that I've learned in the last 19 years. In life I think I've arrived at the time to take the decision. This sport is a drug for me, I love to play this sport."
The 36-year-old, who is still in the doubles draw in Hobart alongside Pauline Permentier, will now turn her attention to the Australian Open.
"I go to Melbourne hoping, working to find my feeling [before the Australian Open]," she added.