SINGAPORE - The World No.2 doubles team of Caroline Garcia and Kristina Mladenovic has qualified for this year's BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global, the WTA's year-end event that brings together the Top 8 singles players and doubles teams to compete for $7 million in prize money.
"It was one of our goals when we started to play together to qualify for the WTA Finals," Garcia said. "We are always improving and I am looking forward to competing in Singapore again."
"We are excited and happy to have qualified," Mladenovic added. "It's a dream come true to qualify and celebrate the great year we've had."
Garcia and Mladenovic began their partnership this year and together have reached six finals. The French duo started the season with a final appearance at the Apia International Sydney, then continued their success with another final appearance at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships. They went on to win in their next four WTA doubles finals appearances at the Volvo Car Open (Charleston), Porsche Tennis Grand Prix (Stuttgart), Mutua Madrid Open and Roland Garros. As a result, they have earned the second slot in the doubles field, joining Martina Hingis and Sania Mirza at the WTA Finals Singapore.
"Congratulations to Caroline and Kristina on what has been a fantastic season, earning them a spot at the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global," said WTA CEO Steve Simon. "These exciting players have achieved great success in doubles this year, and we are very excited that they will be joining us in Singapore to compete for the most prestigious title on the WTA tour."
Here is the current doubles Road to Singapore Leaderboard:
1. Martina Hingis (SUI) / Sania Mirza (IND) - Qualified
2. Caroline Garcia (FRA) / Kristina Mladenovic (FRA) - Qualified
3. Ekaterina Makarova (RUS) / Elena Vesnina (RUS)
4. Yaroslava Shvedova (KAZ) / Tima Babos (HUN)
5. Chan Hao-Ching (TPE) / Chan Yung-Jan (TPE)
6. Andrea Hlavackova (CZE) / Lucie Hradecka (CZE)
7. Julia Goerges (GER) / Karolina Pliskova (CZE)
8. Xu Yifan (CHN) / Zheng Saisai (CHN)
9. Raquel Atawo (USA) / Abigail Spears (USA)
10. Venus Williams (USA) / Serena Williams (USA)
The doubles competition will begin in Singapore on October 27 and is a single elimination contest between the Top 8 doubles teams of the 2016 season, all vying to hold the Martina Navratilova Doubles Trophy.