Australian teenager Jaimee Fourlis has received a main draw wildcard into Hobart International. Slam winners Victoria Azarenka and Sloane Stephens will miss next week's ASB Classic in Auckland and the Brisbane International respectively.
WTA Staff
December 25, 2017

Australian teenager Jaimee Fourlis has received a main draw wildcard into Hobart International 2018.

The 18-year-old from Melbourne is set to make her second main draw appearance in Hobart in two weeks' time, having made her WTA debut at the event in 2017.

“It feels amazing, I’m really pumped to be going back to Hobart,” Fourlis said. “I played my first ever WTA tournament there last year, it was also my first time in Hobart and I loved every minute of it.

“I was over the moon when I found out, I had the biggest smile on my face when they called me to tell me I had gotten the main draw wildcard, I was very happy.”

Fourlis is set for a big January, having also earned an Australian Open 2018 main draw wildcard after winning the 18 and under Australian Championships earlier this month.

“It’s a great way for me to prepare for the Australian Open,” Fourlis said of competing in Hobart.

“Last year I had a great match against [Kirsten] Flipkens, it was a really tough match but I had some great learnings from it.

“Hobart is really nice. There’s a great atmosphere, the people are lovely and it’s a really beautiful place to play.”

Fourlis set a career-high ranking of No.271 during 2017 and made her French Open debut, where she pushed former world No.1 Caroline Wozniacki to three sets in the first round.

Meanwhile, two-time Australian Open winner Victoria Azarenka has pulled out of next week's ASB Classic in Auckland for personal reasons.

In another change to the fields for the season-opening week, US Open champion Sloane Stephens has withdrawn from the Brisbane International, citing a knee injury.