Kaia Kanepi snatched victory from the jaws of defeat to reach the third round at Wimbledon on Friday.
WTA Staff

LONDON, England - Kaia Kanepi caused the latest shock at this year's Wimbledon, knocking out No.7 seed and last year's semifinalist Angelique Kerber in a dramatic second round encounter on Friday afternoon.

After winning six straight games to take the opening set, Kerber appeared to be cruising into the third round when she established a 5-1 lead in the second set tie-break. Kanepi had other ideas, though, rattling off seven of the next eight points to level the match up.

With Kerber still reeling, the Estonian struck early in the third, racing into a 3-0 lead. This early break proved to be decisive, her own serve holding strong as she closed out a 36 76(6) 63 victory.

"I had my chances, but I didn't take them. Maybe I could have been a bit more aggressive on one or two balls but she played good on the important points," Kerber said. "Then in the third set she was playing unbelievable and I couldn't do anything."

Meeting her in the last 32 will be wildcard Alison Riske, who further enhanced her reputation on the grass by coming from a set down to defeat Urszula Radwanska, 46 63 64. This was World No.126 Riske's 13th main draw career singles win, all of which have come on the lawns of the All-England Club or the Edgbaston Priory in Birmingham, where she reached the semifinals earlier this month.

The other outstanding second round match saw Britain's sole remaining representative, Laura Robson, defeat Mariana Duque-Mariño, 64 61.

With Thursday evening's rain persisting into Friday afternoon, the match took place under the sanctuary of the Centre Court roof, and it was Duque-Mariño that adjusted quicker to the intimate atmosphere, breaking serve for a 2-1 lead.

A useful forehand presented Robson with a chance to level immediately, which she converted by volleying past a stranded Duque-Mariño. Suddenly, Robson was enjoying herself, finding her range and reeling off a string of games to move 5-2 ahead.

Despite a late wobble when serving for the set, the Brit closed it out one game later, before racing through the second and into a third round encounter with Marina Erakovic

"I didn't think I played my best," Robson said. "My timing wasn't perfect so I had to deal with that as best I could and managed to control it. It's a big win for me. Any match on the Centre Court is big for me. The crowd under the roof is a lot louder, which is really exciting - you feel so much more of an atmosphere.

"I think I'm handling the pressure and the crowd support fine. I love it when they get involved. Sometimes they do a massive groan when I deliver a double fault, but I'm doing it too, so we're going through it together.

"I knew I was favorite to win this match and I thought I handled it pretty well. I was nervous, but I thought she must be more nervous because I've played on the Centre Court before. So I just got away with that one."