Five weeks ago, few would have believed that Simona Halep would go from zero WTA titles in her career to the second-most in 2013 by the middle of July. But that is just what the Romanian has done during a remarkable swing that has seen her crowned in Nürnberg and 's-Hertogenbosch in consecutive weeks in June and Budapest last week. Here is a list of those with multiple WTA titles so far this season:
On top of that, Halep has now won 16 of her 17 matches since June and 22 of 25 dating back to her run from qualifying to her first Premier-level semifinal at Rome in May.
Vinci Victorious In Palermo
With her triumph over fellow Italian and doubles partner Sara Errani in the final of the XXVI Italiacom Open, Roberta Vinci improved to a remarkable 9-1 in WTA finals. Among the other stats she accomplished in Palermo:
- She moved into a tie for sixth place for most WTA clay court titles among active players:
- She and Errani added to their 2013 WTA match wins totals and both are in the Top 5 on that list:
- She snapped a five-match losing streak against Errani.
- She became the fourth Italian in the last six years to win Palermo after Errani in 2008, Flavia Pennetta in 2009 and Errani in 2012.
- Budapest quarterfinalist Annika Beck went up three spots to No.50 in making her Top 50 debut. She also became one of four teens in the Top 50 after No.32 Laura Robson, No.44 Madison Keys and No.48 Monica Puig.
- Budapest runner-up Yvonne Meusburger was the Top 100's biggest climber in going from No.112 to No.86, her highest ranking since August 2010 and making this her first week in the Top 100 since January 2011.
- Anna Schmiedlova jumped 19 spots to No.97 in making her Top 100 debut and becoming one of 12 teens in the Top 100.