PALERMO, Italy -- No.2 seed Alize Cornet of France emerged victorious in a late-night tussle at the Palermo Ladies Open, outlasting Italian wild card Martina Trevisan, 6-7(5), 6-4, 6-1, to move into the second round.

"Happy that I got the win, especially after losing the first set," Cornet said, after the match. "Martina was playing well, I was feeling not so good on the court, I was tired. Then I was just fighting. It’s good to win when you don’t play your best tennis."

It is the second straight week Trevisan and Cornet have squared off in the first round of a WTA event, as Cornet got a straight-set, opening-round win over the Italian last week en route to a finalist showing at Lausanne. Cornet needed to dig deep to clinch another victory over Trevisan, winning the two-hour and 49-minute match which finished at nearly 1:00 a.m. local time.

World No.53 Cornet finished the match with a 10-for-18 conversion rate on break points, and won 63 percent of points on Trevisan's second serve. Left-hander Trevisan, ranked World No.157, was seeking her second WTA main-draw victory, and broke Cornet six times in the match, but was undone by unforced errors in the deciding set.

A topsy-turvy opening set started with Cornet double faulting the opening game away, before the Frenchwoman turned that around by winning three straight games to find herself up a break at 3-1. Trevisan, however, claimed a fourth break in five games to get back on serve.

The Italian then broke Cornet for a second straight time to lead 4-3, and had a chance to serve out the set at 5-4.  But after leading 30-0, the wild card lost four straight points in a row, and dropped serve with a double fault on break point to allow Cornet to level the set at 5-5.

After roughly an hour of play, the first set had yet to be decided, and the duo advanced to a decisive tiebreak. Cornet took an early 3-0 lead before Trevisan reached 3-3 with a winning dropshot. The next four points went against serve, but Trevisan held on for 6-5 after a lengthy rally to reach set point. The Italian then took the set with a forehand winner off a Cornet dropshot.

The second set started with three consecutive breaks, with that flurry ending with Cornet up 2-1 after a strong backhand return forced an error from Trevisan. The Italian, though, again pulled level, reaching 3-3 after a long forehand miscue by Cornet.

That started another run of four straight service breaks, ending with Cornet leading 5-4 as the Frenchwoman found her spots with passing shots just enough times to keep peeking ahead in the scoreline. Finally, Cornet ended the string of breaks exactly when she needed to, holding serve after a clutch of forehand errors by Trevisan, and tying the match at one set all.

Trevisan dropped serve in the opening game of the decider with consecutive backhand errors, and from that point forward, the Frenchwoman started to wrest control of the tilt. Cornet garnered an insurance break to lead 3-0 after Trevisan double faulted on break point.

The Italian blasted fiery forehands to fend off break points and get on the scoreboard at 4-1, but that would be the extent of her game-winning in the final set. Cornet got through a close game to hold for 5-1, and after more backhand errors from Trevisan, the second seed reached double match point. Trevisan netted a forehand on the second one, and Cornet had picked up another win.

Cornet will now take on Anna-Lena Friedsam of Germany in the second round, in their first-ever meeting. Friedsam defeated Stefanie Voegele of Switzerland, 6-2, 7-6(6) in a first-round encounter earlier on Tuesday.