More on Chakvetadze...
Parents are Djambuli and Natalia; younger brother is Roman ... Introduced to tennis at age 8 by mother ... Speaks Russian and English ... Favorite movie is One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest ... Also enjoys romance novels, all types of music, soccer ... Relaxes by spending time with friends ... Before tennis, hobbies included playing piano.
Winner (8): 2010 - Portoroz; 2008 - Paris [Indoors]; 2007 - Hobart, 's-Hertogenbosch, Cincinnati, Stanford; 2006 - Guangzhou, Moscow.
Finalist (1): 2008 - New Haven.
Finalist (6): 2012 - Tashkent (w/Dolonc); 2010 - Pattaya City (w/Pervak), Portoroz (w/Erakovic); 2007 - Stanford, San Diego (both w/Azarenka); 2006 - Beijing (w/Vesnina).
Russian Fed Cup Team, 2006-09.
Career in Review
- Played first event of career at ITF/Minsk-BLR in 2001; played first WTA qualifying at Budapest in 2002; played first WTA main draw at Stockholm in 2004 (as qualifier, l. to Farina Elia in 1r).
- In second WTA main draw became equal-fourth-fastest player ever to beat a Top 10 player, doing so in third WTA main draw match (d. No.3 Myskina in 2004 US Open 2r); three fastest were Leand, Coin and Muguruza (all did it in second WTA main draw match); S.Williams also did it in third WTA main draw match.
- Won eight WTA titles (incl. three Premier-level titles at Moscow in 2006, Stanford in 2007 and Paris [Indoors] in 2008); also reached one more final (New Haven in 2008 - l. to Wozniacki).
- Best Grand Slam result was one SF at 2007 US Open (l. to Kuznetsova); also reached two more Grand Slam QFs, at 2007 Australian Open and 2007 French Open (l. to Sharapova both times).
- Played WTA Championships in 2007 (went 2-1 in RR stage and reached SFs - l. to Sharapova).
- Made Top 100 debut on September 13, 2004 (after US Open; rose from No.175 to No.91), Top 50 debut on June 6, 2005 (after Roland Garros; rose from No.56 to No.44), Top 20 debut on October 16, 2006 (after Moscow; rose from No.24 to No.16) and Top 10 debut on February 19, 2007 (after Antwerp; rose from No.12 to No.10); set career-high No.5 on September 10, 2007 (after US Open - spent three weeks there).
- Had three career wins over Top 4 players, at 2004 US Open (No.3 Myskina), 2007 's-Hertogenbosch (No.3 Jankovic) and 2007 WTA Championships (No.3 Jankovic).
- Also won two singles titles and one doubles title on ITF Circuit.
- Struggled throughout 2011 season w/illness and 2012 w/back injury.
- Last event was Tashkent in 2012, reaching 2r in singles (as qualifier, l. to Voskoboeva) and final in doubles (w/Dolonc, ret. vs. Kania/Pekhova w/back injury).