World No.2 Simona Halep withdrew from the Qatar Total Open late Friday evening due to a right foot injury.
WTA Staff
February 16, 2018

DOHA, Qatar - World No.2 Simona Halep announced her withdrawal from the Qatar Total Open on Friday evening due to a right foot injury.

The Romanian defeated American CiCi Bellis in the second quarterfinal earlier in the day, but announced her intention to withdraw from the tournament in her late-evening press conference. 

"I am surprised that I could play three matches and to win them. I felt pain every day, so it was not easy to manage it," she said. "I didn't have much time to recover before this tournament, but today was too much, and I decided to stop."

Halep said that the foot injury was the same one which plagued her run to the final of the Australian Open, and after consulting with doctors and having an MRI, she was making the decision to withdraw.

The MRI shows that I have fluid and also tendinitis at the fourth toe, so I have just to take care of it and think about my health first.
Simona Halep

The Romanian also announced that she will not compete in next week's Dubai Tennis Championships, where she was slated to be the top seed.

She joins Maria Sharapova and Madison Keys in withdrawing from next week's Premier event.

"Definitely until Indian Wells I will not play anything. I will decide before the tournament if I will be able to play," she said. 

"For the moment I cannot say much. I have to take day by day and to see if I can recover until Indian Wells."

Due to Halep's withdrawal, No.4 seed Garbiñe Muguruza earns a place in Sunday's final.

"It's tough to withdraw in the semis. I think it's first time when I do this. It's a great tournament, beautiful place. I play great tennis, so it's very tough to stop because of the injury," Halep added.

"I have to, and I pushed enough myself this two months so I have just to take it easy. I withdraw because I cannot play anymore and it's going to be dangerous if I force it."