WUHAN, China - Eighth seed Jelena Ostapenko battled back from a set down to beat Barbora Strycova, 6-2, 7-5, 6-3, at the Dongfeng Motor Wuhan Open.

The Czech ran away with the opening set before the French Open champion staged a comeback to force a decider. The match was then interrupted by a heat break, which riled Strycova even further, and when they returned to court the Latvian was unstoppable.

In a tetchy encounter marked by controversial line calls, Ostapenko felt she coped with the difficult conditions better. 

“It was not amazing to play on a court without Hawk-Eye. But, I mean, I'm a fighter. I went out there and showed my best, fought until the end and won the match,” she said.

“It was a tough match today because I just arrived from Seoul yesterday, having won the tournament there. Conditions were tough. The heat rule was in force when we played.

“I'm really happy that I was fighting till the end, even though I was down in the second set, and won the match.”

Elsewhere, seventh seed Dominika Cibulkova breezed through to the third round, beating Swiss wildcard Jil Teichmann 6-2, 6-2.

The Slovakian was in command from the off, dominating the Swiss player's serve and crushing her returns.

Alizé Cornet created a major shock as she outplayed sixth seed Svetlana Kuznetsova, coming through in straight sets 6-3, 6-3.

There was also a two-set win for fellow Frenchwoman Caroline Garcia, who built on her success against Angelique Kerber to end Christina McHale’s challenge with an impressive 6-1, 6-1 victory.

Ekaterina Makarova, meanwhile, got the better of  Lauren Davis 6-2, 6-4, but there was some consolation for the American contingent as Varvara Lepchenko beat Kiki Bertens, 6-4, 6-4.

In the other matches, Elena Vesnina came through 6-2, 6-4 against Elise Mertens, and Olympic gold medalist Monica Puig beat Peng Shuai 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.

Home favourite Wang Qiang continued to please the crowds after her first-round victory over US Open champion Sloane Stephens by defeating Sorana Cirstea 6-3, 6-3.