Muguruza Targeting 2014 Return
Published July 21, 2013 12:00
BARCELONA, Spain - Garbiñe Muguruza, one of the WTA's highest-ranked teenage stars, underwent right ankle surgery on Tuesday, July 2, and is currently targeting 2014 for a return to the sport.
During the WTA event in Florianopolis, Brazil in February, Muguruza had a routine check after feeling some pain in her ankle, and was diagnosed with osteochondritis dissecans of her astragalus - the surgical procedure, which lasted about an hour and a half, was done to avoid future complications.
"We are very pleased," the 19-year-old Muguruza said from her home in Barcelona. "My doctor, Dr. Juan Carlos Monllau, told us that everything went well, and I hope to begin physiotherapy for it soon."
"We decided on surgery to avoid more serious problems that could develop," Muguruza's coach, Alejo Mancisidor, added. "This was the right time, so we can return next year with a good ranking to start the season playing the big tournaments. And if she needs it, she can use her protected ranking."
Muguruza will be off her feet for a few weeks and will begin the rehab process in mid-August. Also, taking advantage of her time away, the Spaniard also had surgery to fix her deviated nasal septum, which will solve some breathing problems that she has been struggling with the last little while.
Muguruza made noise on the tour for the first time last year, beating then-World No.9 Vera Zvonareva en route to the fourth round of Miami, becoming the equal-fastest player to beat a Top 10 player in the history of the WTA (tying Andrea Leand). But this year the Spaniard has gone to even greater heights, cutting her ranking in half since the start of the season (No.109 to No.53), reaching the fourth round at both Indian Wells and Miami, as well as reaching her first WTA semifinal just a few weeks ago in 's-Hertogenbosch. She also scored another Top 10 win, against Caroline Wozniacki (in Miami).