More on Szavay...
Parents are Zsolt and Terezia Dasko; brother is Levente, sister is Blanka ... Introduced to tennis at age 6 by parents at local club ... Favorite surfaces are clay, hard; best shot is serve ... Likes any ball sports ... Tennis player most admired is Roger Federer ("a real sportsman") ... Favorite city to visit is Melbourne ... Speaks Hungarian, English.
Winner (5): 2010 - Budapest, Prague; 2009 - Budapest; 2007 - Palermo, Beijing.
Finalist (2): 2008 - Paris [Indoors]; 2007 - New Haven.
Winner (2): 2008 - Gold Coast (w/Safina); 2007 - Budapest (w/Uhlirova).
Finalist (6): 2010 - Prague (w/Niculescu); 2007 - Doha, Bad Gastein (both w/Uhlirova); 2006 - Bogotá (w/Woehr); 2005 - Hasselt (w/Krajicek); 2004 - Budapest (w/Nemeth).
Hungarian Fed Cup Team, 2005, 2007-09; Hungarian Olympic Team, 2008, 2012.
Career in Review
- Played first event of career at ITF/Carcavelos 2-POR in 2003; played first WTA qualifying at Budapest in 2004; played first WTA main draw at Bogotá in 2005 (reached 2r - l. to Pennetta).
- Singles highlights were five WTA titles at 2007 Palermo (d. Müller in final), 2007 Beijing (d. Jankovic in final), 2009 Budapest (d. Schnyder in final), 2010 Budapest (d. Schnyder in final) and 2010 Prague (d. Zahlavova Strycova in final) and two more WTA finals at 2007 New Haven (ret. vs. Kuznetsova w/back injury) and 2008 Paris [Indoors] (l. to Chakvetadze); also four more SFs and 13 more QFs (incl. one Grand Slam QF at 2007 US Open).
- Spent exactly one year in Top 20 (52 weeks between September 24, 2007 and September 21, 2008); career-high was No.13 (spent five weeks there in spring of 2008).
- Had eight Top 10 wins, over No.10 Hantuchova (2007 New Haven), No.8 Petrova (2007 US Open), No.3 Jankovic (2007 Beijing), No.8 Hantuchova (2008 Paris [Indoors]), No.7 Ivanovic (2009 Miami), No.9 Azarenka (2009 Madrid), No.3 V.Williams (2009 Roland Garros) and No.8 Jankovic (2010 Sydney).
- Two-time Olympian in 2008 (l. to Zheng in 1r) and 2012 (l. to Baltacha in 1r).
- Won two WTA doubles titles at 2007 Budapest (w/Uhlirova) and 2008 Gold Coast (w/Safina).
- Was named WTA's Newcomer Of The Year in 2007.
- Also won three singles titles and three doubles titles on ITF Circuit.
- Missed most of 2011 due to illness and back injury, then missed most of 2012 due to back injury as well, playing last event of career at US Open in 2012 (ret. vs. Arn in 1r w/back injury).