More on Pennetta...
Father introduced her to tennis at age 5 ... Both parents and older sister, Giorgia, play recreational tennis ... Favorites include pasta and Al Pacino ... Other sports interest is horse racing ... Admires Monica Seles ... Most memorable experience was vacation with Tathiana Garbin and Rita Grande.
Winner (11): 2015 - US Open; 2014 - Indian Wells; 2010 - Marbella; 2009 - Palermo, Los Angeles; 2008 - Viña del Mar, Acapulco; 2007 - Bangkok; 2005 - Bogotá, Acapulco; 2004 - Sopot.
Finalist (14): 2014 - Sofia; 2012 - Auckland, Acapulco; 2010 - Auckland, Palermo; 2009 - Acapulco; 2008 - Los Angeles, Zürich; 2007 - Acapulco; 2006 - Gold Coast, Bogotá, Acapulco; 2004 - Acapulco, Palermo.
Winner (17): 2014 - Wuhan, Moscow (both w/Hingis); 2013 - Osaka (w/Mladenovic); 2011 - Australian Open (w/Dulko); 2010 - Miami, Stuttgart, Rome, Bastad, Montréal, Moscow, WTA Finals (all w/Dulko); 2009 - Hobart, Bastad (both w/Dulko), 's-Hertogenbosch (w/Errani); 2008 - Estoril (w/Kirilenko); 2006 - Bogotá (w/Dulko); 2005 - Los Angeles (w/Dementieva).
Finalist (17): 2014 - Eastbourne, US Open (both w/Hingis); 2013 - Bastad (w/Dulgheru); 2012 - Auckland (w/Goerges), Barcelona (w/Schiavone); 2011 - 's-Hertogenbosch (w/Cibulkova), Tokyo [Pan Pacific], Beijing (both w/Dulko); 2010 - Madrid, Beijing (both w/Dulko); 2009 - Bogotá, Stuttgart (both w/Dulko); 2008 - Montréal (w/Kirilenko); 2007 - Bogotá (w/Vinci), Barcelona (w/Domínguez Lino); 2006 - Berlin (w/Dementieva); 2005 - US Open (w/Dementieva).
Italian Fed Cup Team, 2003, 2005-13, 2015; Italian Olympic Team, 2008, 2012.
Career in Review
- Played first tournaments of career on ITF Circuit in Italy in 1997.
- Turned pro on 18th birthday on February 25, 2000.
- Won 11 WTA titles (Sopot in 2004, Bogotá and Acapulco in 2005, Bangkok in 2007, Viña del Mar and Acapulco in 2008, Palermo and Los Angeles in 2009, Marbella in 2010, Indian Wells in 2014 and US Open in 2015).
- By winning 2015 US Open, became oldest first-time Grand Slam champion in the Open Era (at 33 years and 6 months - no one else even won their first Grand Slam title in their 30s), had longest wait for a first Grand Slam title in Open Era (was 49th Grand Slam main draw) and was also just second Italian woman to win a Grand Slam title (after Schiavone).
- Reached QFs or better seven times at Grand Slams, six times at US Open (Won in 2015, SFs in 2013 and QFs in 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2014) and once at the Australian Open (QFs in 2014).
- Was first Italian woman to break Top 10 on August 17, 2009 (at No.10); bettered that career-high No.10 six years later after 2015 US Open (made it as high as No.6 on September 28, 2015).
- Also won 17 WTA doubles titles (two biggest being WTA Finals in 2010 and Australian Open in 2011, both with Dulko) and rose to No.1 in doubles on February 28, 2011 (becoming first Italian player, male or female, to reach No.1 in either discipline in tennis, singles or doubles).
- Pulled off a rare singles-doubles feat on Friday, October 7, 2011, beating Wozniacki in singles and Huber/Raymond in doubles - at the time, Wozniacki was No.1 in singles and Huber was No.1 in doubles, making Pennetta just second player ever to beat both singles and doubles No.1s on same day (Graf was only other woman to achieve the feat on Monday, May 19, 1986 in Berlin).
- WTA Finals in Singapore in 2015 was last tournament of Pennetta's career.